Have you taken the time to figure out how much money you spend each month on groceries? For me, it was enough to make me want to quit eating… well almost!
Fortunately, I found ways to reduce our monthly grocery bill without starving myself or my family. Change your mindset to fatten your pocketbook!
Here are some tips that help chop away at bad grocery spending habits:
- NEVER go shopping when you are hungry! We have all heard this before, but it is true. Every time I shop when I am hungry, I end up putting more items in the cart.
- Plan your meals for the week. This tip is probably one of the best ways to save money on your food bill. Create a food budget. Your meal plan could include meals for re-purpose; left-over meat and veggies, make a soup!
- Make a list and stick to it!
- Buy fresh foods when you can. Canned and prepared (boxed) foods cost more and are usually higher in sodium. Besides, fresh foods are healthier.
- Take advantage of store ads and patron the store(s) with the cheapest prices for the items on your list. I don’t mind going to 2 or 3 stores to get what I need. Try to do a weekly grocery shopping trip. Shopping day to day for groceries can cost more if items are not on sale.
- Last but not least, use coupons. Don’t use coupons for items that you will not need just because it’s a great deal. Chances are, you will never use that product and end up throwing it out.
These are just some simple ways to save money. Happy eating and saving!